Call for international inquiry into the assassination of Rwandan Green Party Vice-Chair, Andre Rwisereka
by Permanent Consultative Council.
Call for International Inquiry into the assassination of Mr. Andre KAGWA RWISEREKA, the First Vice-President of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda.
The Permanent Consultative Council of opposition parties in Rwanda (PCC), is deeply concerned and shocked on the death of the First Vice President of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda, Mr. Andre KAGWA RWISEREKA. We strongly condemn this inhuman action. We call upon the Rwandan Government to quicken its investigations and bring these criminals to justice. We also call for an international independent inquiry over the assassination of a key opposition leader.
The First Vice President of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda, Mr. Andre KAGWA RWISEREKA who went missing yesterday 13th July 2010, was found dead on 14th July 2010. His head was almost completely removed from his body.
He was born on 31st Dec 1949, in Rusenge, Nyaruguru, Southern Province, Republic of Rwanda. He went into political exile in the early 1960’s. He stayed in DRC, where he obtained a degree of Education, while in DRC he was one of the senior members of the ruling Rwandan Patriotic Front, especially in its struggle to liberate Rwanda. He has been a prominent businessman in Butare town.
He was among the founding members of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda, founded on 14th August 2009, at Hotel ex-Novotel in Kigali. He is survived by four children.
In less than a month, the repression spree is alarmingly high rocketing:
- On 24th June 2010, Mr. Jean-Leonard RUGAMBAGE, a Rwandan Editor of UMUVUGIZI Newspaper, a critical voice, was shot dead in front of his home.
- Earlier that day, opposition members including Mr.Andre Kagwa RWISEREKA were arrested, many stayed in police custody for over a week, they revealed to the Judge serious marks of torture, ill-treatments and abusive hate language.
- On 19th June 2010, in Johannesburg, a Rwandan former Army Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General KAYUMBA NYAMWASA survived an assassination attempt.
- Another assassination case, was reported on 21st June 2010, in Gisenyi, Northern Rwanda of Denis Ntare SEMADWINGA, former Chief of Staff to General Laurent NKUNDA.
- SIBOMANA RUSANGWA Aimable Private Secretary for the Founder President of PS Imberakuri, was reported missing since 13th June. His whereabouts are completely unknown.
- Two local newspapers UMUSESO and UMUVUGIZI have been suspended while all the editing team of UMURABYO newspaper are now in police custody.
Only a few days ahead of the presidential election, the Rwandan opposition is in a very sorry state:
* The Parti Social IMBERAKURI, has been split into two factions, a pro-government wing and another one represented by Maitre Bernard NTAGANDA, the founding President of PS Imberakuri, currently in a Kigali maximum prison for politically motivated crimes. Most of his colleagues were also arrested and released on bail. They told court and prosecution that they had been tortured while in detention.
* The Democratic Green Party of Rwanda has been prevented from registering after trying several times. Its recent attempt was when it requested the Government to grant it permission to have a founding congress on 4th June 2010, so that it can be able to participate in the elections, but it never received any response from Gasabo District.
Earlier it had officially requested the Ministry of Local Government which is in charge of political parties to intervene in its situation. It never received any official response, despite having been invited to one meeting with Ministry officials. The Democratic Green Party of Rwanda, still hopes that the Government will respond positively to its earlier requests.
* The FDU INKINGI, not yet registered as well, is facing a critical situation. It’s Chair, Ms Victoire INGABIRE UMUHOZA is still under extended house arrest; Mr. Sylvain SIBOMANA, the party Secretary General and Ms. Alice MUHIRWA, the party Treasurer, have been released on bail.
FDU Inkingi has tried several times to get registered but could not be allowed. The FDU-Inkingi had officially requested the Ministry of Local Government which is in charge of political parties to intervene in its situation, despite having been invited to a meeting with Ministry officials. It never received any official response.
The Permanent Consultative Council of opposition Parties in Rwanda (PCC) calls for an independent international investigation on the assassination of the opposition key figure Mr. Andre KAGWA RWISEREKA, the murder of the journalist Jean-Léonard RUGAMBAGE and other allegations of tortures or death threats to opposition members.
We call upon the Government of Rwanda to use all means possible to ensure that there is peace and tranquillity in Rwanda, especially before and after the August Presidential elections.
We also call upon the Rwandan Government to allow the opposition parties get registered and work freely, release Maitre Bernard NTAGANDA of PS Imberakuri and waive all criminal charges levelled against opposition
Issued at Kigali, 15th July 2010
Mrs. Victoire INGABIRE UMUHOZA
Chairperson, United Democratic Forces, FDU INKINGI
Mr. Frank HABINEZA
Chairman, Democratic Green Party of Rwanda
Mr. Theobald MUTARAMBIRWA
Secretary General, PS Imberakuri
- If you want to receive Rwandinfo articles in English through your RSS Reader, click here.