Rwanda Information Portal

Rwanda: Norwegian Justice Department Confirms Bandora’s Extradition

Charles Bandora

The Norwegian Justice Department has decided to extradite genocide suspect, Charles Bandora, 58, to Rwanda, where he is wanted for genocide, crimes against humanity and mass murder during the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.

Norway’s Justice Department State Secretary, Pål Lønseth, confirmed to the press the decision, saying that his country had to issue a series of demands to the Rwandan authorities as a condition for extradition.

The extradition case against Bandora had previously passed all stages of the criminal justice system in Norway; from the Oslo District Court, through the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.

Norwegian authorities, as one of the conditions for extradition, requested that an international organisation be given the opportunity to observe Bandora’s trial in Rwanda.

Rwanda already has international organizations, including the African Court of Human Rights, observing high profile cases such as that of Jean Uwinkindi, who was sent back to Rwanda by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.

Bandora is alleged to have organised and participated in killings of hundreds of Tutsi who had taken refuge at Ruhuha Church in Ngenda Commune.

“This is good news, but Bandora still has one option of appealing to the Kings Court. If the King’s Court (Cabinet) upholds prior decisions, then he will be brought to Rwanda,” said the head of Fugitive Tracking Unit, Jean Bosco Siboyintore.

Bandora’s lawyer has confirmed that he will appeal the decision in the King’s Court.

The appeal to the King’s Court is a suspensive effect, meaning that decisions may not yet become final. But reliable sources says the cabinet is unlikely to overrule a decision by one of its members, the Justice Department State Secretary.

October 15, 2012   No Comments

Rwanda: ICC Prosecutor confirms DRC investigations in a letter to Counsel of FDU-Inkingi and RNC

International Criminal Court

M.P. Dillon, Head of the Information & Evidence Unit in the Office of the ICC Prosecutor says in a letter with Reference OTP-CR-239/12 dated The Hague, Thursday, 11 October 2012 sent to counsel Barrister Christopher C. Black in relation to the complaint against President Kagame and his accomplices submitted on 17 August 2012 in the Hague (ICC) on behalf of FDU-INKINGI, RNC, Réseau International Femmes pour la Démocratie et la Paix (RIFDP) and other civil and political groups :

«On behalf of the Prosecutor, I thank you for your communication received on 17/08/2012, as well as any subsequent related information, concerning the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). As you probably know, the Office is now investigating the situation in the DRC. In June 2003, in response to various communications, the Prosecutor identified the situation as a priority for his Office. In April 2004, the DRC formally referred the situation of the DRC to the Prosecutor. In June 2004, the Prosecutor announced his decision to open an investigation into the situation in the DRC. In making his announcement, the Prosecutor underscored his intention to focus on the perpetrators most responsible for crimes within the jurisdiction of the Court now being committed in the DRC. (…)»

Though we welcome this prompt reaction and confirmation that the ICC is “investigating” matters on the DRC, we are still encouraging for an immediate public action on our specific complaint against president Paul Kagame and his accomplices regarding the crimes of the M23 militia in the DRC and the criminal involvement of Rwandan government.
Now there should be no other obstacles stopping international law enforcers to bring to book the perpetrators most responsible for crimes committed by M23 militia and Rwandan military senior officers involved.

The UN Group of Experts on the DRC’s report concerning Rwandan government violations of the arms embargo and sanctions regime has submitted on 13 October 2012 its final annual report to the UN Sanctions Committee confirming that Rwanda is still supporting, training and arming the notorious militia despite the international community outcry. Cutting the Rwandan aid by donors is not enough any more, sanctions including travel bans, and regime change are timely.

 

COORDINATING COMMITTEE FDU-INKINGI

Coordinator
Dr. Nkiko Nsengimana
Lausanne, Switzerland
nkiko.nsengimana@bluewin.ch

RWANDA NATIONAL CONGRESS (RNC)
Interim Committee,
Co-ordinator.
Dr. Theogene Rudasingwa,
Washington DC, USA
ngombwa@gmail.com

 

October 15, 2012   No Comments