No pressure from UN Secretary General to alter Rwanda Genocide report — Rwandinfo_ENG
Rwanda Information Portal

No pressure from UN Secretary General to alter Rwanda Genocide report

Geneva: UN chief Ban Ki-moon never asked for claims of “genocide” by Rwandan forces to be removed from a report on violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a UN human rights spokesman said on Tuesday.

Rejecting media reports of interference by Ban on the final wording of a report on the atrocities committed from 1993 to 2003 in the country, Rupert Colville, spokesman for the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, said: “I want to make this crystal clear, this is absolutely untrue.

“Up to this point the Secretary General has never put pressure on the High Commissioner (for Human Rights) to alter the text,” he added.

The 600-page UN report was leaked to French newspaper Le Monde, which in an article last Friday quoted unnamed UN sources claiming that Ban had warned Navi Pillay, the UN human rights chief, against using the word “genocide” in reference to Rwandan forces.

The newspaper’s sources said that Rwanda, one of the biggest contributors of peacekeeping forces in the region, had threatened to withdraw its support to the United Nations if the damning report were to be published or leaked.

The UN probe underlined that Rwandan Tutsi troops and their rebel allies targeted, chased, hacked, shot and burned Hutus in the DRC, from 1996 to 1997, after the outbreak of a cross-border Central African war.

The probe did not list a death toll but found evidence suggesting tens of thousands of Hutus had been killed. UN and other aid agencies said in the 1990s that 200 000 Hutus were unaccounted for.

Following the leak of the report, Rwanda has threatened to curtail its cooperation with the United Nations.

“We reiterate here what we have already told the high commissioner; namely that attempts to take action on this report – will force us to withdraw from Rwanda’s various commitments to the United Nations, especially in the area of peacekeeping,” Rwanda’s Foreign Affairs Minister Louise Mushikiwabo wrote to the UN’s Ban.

[ARI-RNA]

3 comments

1 Mao { 09.01.10 at 9:50 am }

For those who know the discipline and ethos of the Rwanda Defense Force (RDF) since the liberation war until now when the RDF has gained international credibility as an exemplary peacekeeping force, it becomes inadmissible to agree with UN report accusing Rwandan troops of possible genocide in DRC.
How can the Force that stopped genocide in Rwanda, the Force that is at the forefront of bringing unity and reconciliation in the country is accused of genocide against the Hutu in Congo, where it has actually saved them from being used as human shields or dying of cholera outbreaks?
Shocked by those baseless accusations, Rwanda is ready now to pull out its troops from peacekeeping missions if the UN publishes the report. ”We are waiting to see what the United Nations does with this report, but we are very seriously considering pulling out our troops” the Minister of Foreign Affairs and government spokesperson, Louise Mushikiwabo revealed, adding that the RDF contingent commander in Darfur has already been instructed to be prepared.

2 kay { 09.01.10 at 10:58 am }

rwandans can be very smart when it comes to hide crimes. They are trying to put the past behind, because they know they have committed crimes, and therefore they are very courteous and smart to deal with conflicts because they know how to prevent it; however that does not stop holding them accountable for crimes against humanity. Crimes have been committed no matter when and how and who, there is a time to deal with truth. You can not kill people and go away with it no matter how you can claim to change. Even up today we still pursuing Nazis. I believe that UN can find other member states to do the job. Interestingly, majority of Rwanda government members, judicial, executive, and all others have committed or connected to crimes. majority of judges are former fighters,parliament ans senate is full of criminals, as you can even mae government ministers.. we are all aware of that. Who gives order is the one who is a head judge and same person is the one who go out speak for the government and people and we can not longer keep lying to the world. it is a time to clean up the house and move forward.

3 User { 09.02.10 at 3:45 am }

We should all avoid sentments and politics on this matter, if there were loss of lives, let’s the justice conclude on this. If there’s nothing about the genecide, it’s good but if there’s, the ones who committed should pay for that. If this is false report the ones who are behind that should also be pay for that. I don;t welcome the idea of welcoming or rejecting the report whithout any legal action.

Leave a Comment