South Africa arrests 5 more suspects in the shooting of exiled Rwandan Gen. Kayumba Nyamwasa
Pretoria – Five more people are in the custody of South African authorities in connection with the shooting of dissident Gen. Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa on June 19 in Johannesburg, SA police revealed Wednesday.
The new arrests were made in June and July but it was not necessary to publicize them, according to South Police Spokesman, Brig. Govindsamy Mariemuthoo.
On Wednesday, the five suspects appeared in court, and that is how they became known to the public. The new suspects bring to 10, the total number of people in custody for the shooting which has strained Rwanda-SA relations.
Originally, Police had 6 suspects but two saw charges against them dropped including Rwandan ex-army officer Francis Gakwerere. Then later it emerged that another Rwandan Pascal Kanyandekwe had been arrested for alleged links to the failed murder attempt.
Kanyandekwe charged along with Juma Huseni, Ahmed Ali, George Francis and Shafiri Bakari for the shooting on the General outside his home in Melrose north of Johannesburg on June 19. All these men were said to be foreigners and the authorities are yet to authenticate their papers.
Their court cases were scheduled to being on Wednesday last week but had to be moved due to the ongoing public sector strike across South Africa. Their case was moved to today August 25.
In court Wednesday, South African Police and Prosecutors presented the new five suspects.
Police spokesman Mariemuthoo told the media that the arrests were made quietly, with no public announcement.
Meanwhile, information from South African officials suggests Gen. Nyamwasa, whose extradition request from Rwanda is being considered, is under protection from the state at a secret location.
Rwanda wants him back to face the courts in connection to the grenade blasts which rocked Kigali earlier this year. He denies all the charges.