Rwandan Opposition Calls for an immediate release of Ms. Victoire Ingabire Umuhoza
by the Permanent Consultative Council of Opposition Parties in Rwanda.
The Permanent Consultative Council of Opposition Parties in Rwanda-PCC, which brings together the United Democratic Forces-FDU Inkingi, Democratic Green Party of Rwanda and the Social Party Imberakuri, is calling for an immediate release of Ms. Victoire INGABIRE UMUHOZA with no more conditions and the release of all other political prisoners.
Yesterday, 14th October 2010, Ms. Victoire INGABIRE UMUHOZA was arrested and incarcerated in KICUKIRO police custody on seemingly politically motivated charges of forming a terrorist organization (Coalition of Democratic Forces-CDF as an alleged military wing of FDU-Inkingi). She was imprisoned in April 2010, she was later released on bail but has since then been under extended house arrest. She has never been given a chance to be fairly confronted in a court of law. She has never been a flight risk or a threat to the community.
All the three opposition parties that challenged the RPF-Led Government have undergone serious and dangerous trials.
The Government refused to register the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda after a whole year of risky peaceful struggle that was started on 14th August 2009. Its Vice President Andre KAGWA RWISEREKA was found beheaded on 14th July 2010.
They also refused to register the United Democratic Forces-FDU Inkingi and many of its members have been imprisoned or released on bail.
The Social Party Imberakuri had managed to get registered in July 2009, but was later broken up into several factions, one of them now in the Government’s Political Parties Forum. Its Founding President, Maitre Bernard NTAGANDA is in prison since 24th June 2010, he is reported to be in a very critical health situation at King Faycal Hospital after Kigali Central Hospital was unable to treat him.
URGENT CALL FOR ACTION :
• We urgently call for the immediate release of Ms. Victoire INGABIRE UMUHOZA with no further conditions.
• We demand an immediate release from Prison of Mr. Bernard NTAGANDA, who was detained since 24th June 2010 and is now facing serious health conditions, which may claim his life.
• We demand an immediate trial of the killers of the Late Andre KAGWA RWISEREKA (Vice President of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda) and we still call for an international independent inquiry and an independent autopsy as Human Rights Watch has already requested.
• We also demand an immediate release from Prison of Ms.Seraphine MUKAMANA, Green Party’s Kigali City Coordinator
• We call upon the International Community, especially USA, UK, all EU Member States and all Friends of Rwanda to continue seriously engaging the Government of Rwanda to open up political space and allow democracy take root in Rwanda.
Issued at Kigali, 15th October 2010
Mr. Frank HABINEZA
Founding President, Democratic Green Party of Rwanda
Mr. Sylvain SIBOMANA
Secretary General, United Democratic Forces, FDU INKINGI
Mr. Theobald MUTARAMBIRWA
Secretary General, PS Imberakuri