Rwanda: Two more IBUKA officials arrested for mismanagement of genocide survivors’ funds
KIGALI – Two other senior officials of IBUKA, the umbrella body of Genocide survivors’ associations, have been arrested for alleged mismanagement of survivors’ funds, The New Times has learnt.
A source from the Office of Prosecutor General, said that the officials who were arrested on April 16 include the organisation’s Secretary General, Freddy Mutanguha, and the Vice President, Eugene Gashugi.
“They appeared before Nyarugenge Intermediate Court yesterday. The accused requested court to give them more time so that they get lawyers,” the source said.
It is understood that court granted the suspects one day and ordered them to reappear in the same court today at 2.00pm.
Prosecution spokesperson, Augustin Nkusi confirmed the development and said the duo had been arrested in connection with the mismanagement of survivors’ funds.
He added that more officials in the organization were still under probe in connection with the scam.
Mutanguha and Gashugi’s arrest comes days after police arrested the Executive Secretary, Benoit Kaboyi for alleged mismanagement of survivors’ funds.
Kaboyi was arrested along with the Director of Finance, Naftal Ahishakiye and Emmanuel Nsengiyumva, who was in charge of programmes at IBUKA.
They are accused, among other things, of creating ghost beneficiaries and inflating the figures of survivors in some districts.
According to prosecution, over Rwf400million was unaccounted for and that the officials have to explain how the money was spent.
IBUKA was created in 1995 in order to address issues of justice, memory, social and economic problems faced by Tutsi survivors.