Rwanda: Horrific tortures of opposition members by state security forces
by Victoire Ingabire Umuhoza.
On 24th June 2010, a police crackdown arraigned hundreds of opposition members in Kigali. This is the tone for the looming presidential election as the mass arrests coincide with the opening of nominations of presidential candidates.
Since then, the victims are day and night in handcuffs in police cells. Critical cases of torments have been recorded:
1. Ms. Alice MUHIRWA, the party Treasurer, is still bleeding due to boots kicks into her stomach. She has been denied access to a medical doctor.
2. Mr. Sylvain SIBOMANA, the party Secretary General, needs an urgent X-Ray as he was hardly beaten several times legs and arms tied behind the back.
3. Mr. Theoneste SIBOMANA (Party leader in Kigali) needs a concussion evaluation after head injury, bunged on wall many times during torture.
4. Maitre Theogene MUHAYEYEZU, the new defence lawyer of Ms. Victoire Ingabire Umuhoza, the party Chair, has been tortured after arrest and detention incommunicado.
5. The medical condition of the party member Martin NTAVUKA is not known.
6. Other opposition leaders from the Parti Social Imberakuri arrested the same day; all have symptoms of torture, cruel and degrading treatments as well. i.e. Bernard NTAGANDA, his Secretary General and other executive members.
We call upon President Paul KAGAME and his government to immediately stop the torture and ensure that opposition members are released and treated in public hospitals without any delay, and to open impartial and effective investigation into the allegations of torture and ill-treatment. Also the victims should be awarded full reparation.
Ms. Victoire Ingabire Umuhoza